Friday, February 12, 2010
Just in time for Valentine's Day! I've been working on and off on this super cute skirt and just got it finished for my daughter to wear to church this Valentine's Day. The pattern is called The Edith Twirl Skirt, by Jona Giammalva http://www.fabritopia.com/edith-twirl-skirt-pdf-sewing-pattern-instructions.html
I will say this was the first skirt I ever did sew, and boy was it a challange for me, you'll do fine if you can do bias tape and gathering, those were a bit tricky. But all in all I think it turned out great! Plus my good friend Connie came up with this cute tuxedo shirt idea to match, I just grabbed a premade shirt and did the gathering stich again and it was as easy as pie-Enjoy!
Thursday, February 4, 2010
My daughter has outgrown the hair bow stage and now wants just flowers, this is a fun fabric flower I just learned to make. Ok, first make a template and cut out desired fabric, chiffon, lace, netting, all work really well. Since I used Cotton, I put wrong sides together. Fold in half, then half again, and stitch across the point bottom, do this 8x, then using thread string 4 together and put a few stitches in to secure, then do this to the remaining 4 and hot glue them one on top of the other, then finish with a jewel, button or pearls to cover the stitches on top. On the bottom hot glue circle of felt to cover stitches, then hot glue clip on top.
I've always been a big fan of painting,seems to be the cheapest update I can give a home. When it comes to kids rooms, I especially like to paint half the walls, I used to leave it unfinished with the hopes that my hubby would put up a chair rail but since it's not on his priority list with this new house I just finished off the paint with stripes. Best thing about painting just half the walls, is if they grow out of the color it's a quick fix to paint over with a new color.
Just moving into a new home, there are lots of little things to do...now I've begun the windows. First I followed a pattern and created the one for the Master bath, then onto the kitchen sink window, which I had to make my own pattern. I basically decided the size of the window I needed, giving half inch for inseam to both sides, then started cutting, I added a tassel sewing right sides together of the fabric and lining with the tassel pinned with the tassels on the inside and the tape of the tassel against the edge. It came out nicer then I expected.